Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Break Roadtrip

A little while ago I decided that since Toby had to work over spring break, I would take the kids on a road trip and visit my parents in NC. I admit that it seems a little crazy, but the kids are really great travellers and are usually very well behaved in the car (especially with a portable DVD player and some Nintendo DS's)

So on the first day (Saturday, March 13th) we drove from Katy, TX to Laurel, MS where Thomas was born. It should have been about an 8 hour drive, but due to road construction ended up taking about 10 1/2 hours. We had dinner with our good friends and old neighbors, the Kiparizoska's, and then spent the night with some friends from church, the Johnson's. It was great to see old friends and catch up a little. On Sunday morning we went to church in our old branch and it was exactly like it used to be, well almost. They had a pianist for Sacrament meeting instead of a CD player. Then right after church we hit the road again and headed for Frankiln, TN. This leg of the trip only took about 6 1/2 hours. We arrived at Kevin and Lisa Allan's home (they used to live in the Statesville Ward where I grew up) in time to have dinner and chat with them for awhile before it was time to get some sleep. The next morning we drove only 1 1/2 hours to Clarksville, TN where my friend, Amy, lives now. She just moved back to the States after living in Europe for at least 8 or 9 years. It was a really great day of just hanging out with an old friend and reconnecting. Our kids really hit it off, too! I apologize that I was having so much fun that I never got my camera out of it's case!!! We spent Monday night at Amy's and after eating breakfast in the morning, we got back on the road. This time we were finally headed to my parent's house in NC. Since my brother-in-law, Zeke and his new wife, Juliana, live so close to TN, they came down to Knoxville and met us for lunch at a park! It was really fun to get to know Juliana a little better and to finally meet her and her kids. They are really cute! Here are a few pictures courtesy of Zeke:
this is the only picture of all 7 kids together, click on it and see if you can spot them all!!

I have to apologize again, we had agreed to meet in Knoxville around 11:30 or 12:00. That way we would have about 2 hours to play and chat. I totally spaced and didn't realize that Knoxville is in the Eastern Time Zone and Clarksville is in Central!! I felt horrible! I was very late and Zeke and Juliana were very understanding and forgiving of my stupidity!! We only got to be together for about an hour, but I am so glad that they were willing to take the kids out of school and drive so far to see me!! Thanks again!!!

By the way, this whole trip was a surprise to my parents, they had no idea that I was coming!! While I was at the park in Knoxville, my Dad calls my cell phone and asks me what I am doing. I just said "We are at the park" and he said "Around the corner from the house?" And I said ".....yep!" It was around the corner from a house, just not my house!!!

So we said goodbye to our family and headed for NC. We arrived in Kernersville at about 7:30 pm. So with the time change and the hour break for lunch, we travelled for about 10 hours that day. We had arranged for my brother, Jay, and his wife to take my parents out for dinner that night. We walked into the restaurant and my Mom said "What in the world?!?!" And my Dad just grinned from ear to ear!! It was a great moment! I was so happy that I actually surprised them! Anyway we ate dinner and went back to Jay's to spend the night. The next day we all went to the Bishop's Storehouse where my parents are the managers. I finally got to see what they do and help out a little. It was really fun. My other brother, Joe, even drove up there to help us. It was a great day! Jay's wife, Mitzi, made a wonderful lunch for us and then we drove about an hour back to my parent's house where we spent Wednesday night and Thursday and Friday. The kids had fun playing with their cousins Robbie, Mariztella and Marrianna. On Friday I got to work out at the Y with Joe and have lunch with my good friend, Susan, and see her new baby boy! What a cutie he was!! Friday night Jay and his family drove down to the parent's house to have dinner and play games on our last night at home.

Saturday morning we left at around 8 am and drove and drove and drove until we reached Laurel, MS again. We stayed with the Johnsons again and had a great time with them. That day was about 10 1/2 hours of driving. Sunday morning we left the Johnsons and drove straight home! It took about 9 hours this time, it would have been 8, but road construction again!!!

It was a fast visit and a very long trip, but it was very fun to see old friends and lots of family!!! It is sure good to be home and back into a regular routine!!!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you got to take such a fun trip. I miss traveling like that! And how funny - my grandmother was born in Laurel! We went through there on our own way to NC last year. :) Thanks for sharing your trip.